Los Angeles Assistant Bureau Manager and Multimedia Journalist, Feature Story News, Los Angeles, CA (March 2012 – Present)
Manages story and staffing assignments for FSN and CCTV America. Produces radio news reports for dozens of FSN’s international radio clients, including Vatican Radio, Radio Nigeria, and Dubai Eye. Reports, writes, shoots, and edits broadcast packages. Acts as the Los Angeles Correspondent for stories that have appeared on Channel News Asia, TeleSUR (Latin America), Jewish News One (Europe), and CCTV America (China Central Television).
- Instrumental in opening offices in Orange County and downtown LA.
- Traveled to the US-Mexican Border at the Otay Mesa Port of Entry to report on Drug Cartels that used Advertising to lure unsuspecting employees into the trafficking drugs.
- Traveled to Denver, Colorado, to report on the tragic theater shooting.
- A report on prostitution and human trafficking was featured during a special segment on PBS’s “SoCal Insider” show.
Multimedia Reporter, WUSA-TV, CBS affiliate, Washington, DC (January 2009 – January 2012)
Multimedia journalist that reports, shoots, writes, and edits news broadcast packages on a daily basis. Uses social networking consistently during the news gathering process to engage with the audience and advance the story. Covers general assignment reporting including breaking news, features, and enterprise stories. Appears live on set and in the field.
- During our extended coverage of Hurricane Irene, I reported from the newsroom highlighting viewers photos
- I presented a series on Fort Detrick’s human experiments during the Cold War and present-day cancer cluster claims
- During the Blizzard of 2010 (Dubbed “Snowmageddon”) I used Skype to report live from Reagan National Airport
- Before President-Elect Barack Obama’s Inauguration, I walked the route Virginians would have to take to the US Capitol. I started with a live shot and continued to update the audience on Facebook and Twitter
Morning Show Anchor and Reporter, WSIL-TV, ABC affiliate, Southern Illinois (January 2005 to July 2008)
- Anchor and report live breaking news, interview guests, and host live segments from the field
- Represent the station during community events and public speaking engagements
Intern, ABC News Nightline with Ted Koppel & This Week with George Stephanopoulos, Washington, DC (Fall 2004)
- Contribute to discussions, provide story ideas, work with interpreters to translate interviews
- Observe correspondents, producers, and editors in the field, including the White House lawn and briefing room
Intern, WFAA-TV, ABC affiliate, Dallas, TX (Summer 2004)
- Assist the crime beat reporter on daily stories and investigative reports
Intern, KTVI-TV, FOX affiliate, St. Louis, MO (Summer 2003)
- Shadow reporters in the field, make beat calls, work on the assignment desk to develop news stories
Southern Illinois University at Carbondale
Degree: Bachelor of Science in Journalism
Minor: Administration of Justice
Study Abroad – British Studies Practicum, London and Paris (Spring 2003)
- Focus on differences in programming, production and policy between US and British news media
- Tour news organizations and meet with journalists from a variety of news outlets including the BBC, the Press Complaints Commission, BskyB, and CNN’s International Correspondent in Paris
AMBER Alert Training and Technical Assistance Program
Training through the U.S. Dept. of Justice, South Carolina (2007)
National Press Club
Journalist, Young Member (2011 – present)
Illinois News Broadcasters Association (INBA)
Board of Directors (2006 – 2008), Member (2003 – 2008)
INBA Committee to Get Cameras & Microphones in Illinois Courtrooms
- Was featured in a Mashable.com article “The Journalist’s Guide to Maximizing Personal Social Media ROI”
- Posts photos and news updates on location-based apps including Foursquare and Instagram
- Labeled a “Specialist” on Klout (a site that measures influence on social networks)
- Uses Facebook and Twitter as a news-gathering tool to share news updates and curate information from viewers
- Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, YouTube, LinkedIn, WordPress, Skype
SHOOTING, EDITING, AND NEWSROOM SKILLS:
- Experience shooting with Sony PMW-EX1 and Sony HVR-A1U cameras
- Knowledgeable in editing with Avid NewsCutter, Final Cut, Sony Vegas, and Adobe Premiere
- Additional experience with ENPS, Avid iNews, Photoshop, and Brightcove